Disclosure: The following contains affiliate links. At no additional cost to you, I may receive a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. Click here to read the full Affiliate Disclosure.
Browse British detective series by decade or return to the TV Detective Database:
Below is a complete list of British detective/mystery/crime series from the 1960s. This includes series that started prior to 1960 and continued into the decade, as well as shows that started in the 1960s and continued into the 1970s. Titles of series that only lasted for a single year/season have been left unbolded.
Clicking on a title link in the list below will take you to my post about that specific show (if I have created one). Additionally, the list also includes links to places where you can watch/stream the show online.
- The Avengers (1961-1969) (starring Diana Rigg and Patrick Macnee) [stream here]
- Biggles (1960)
- Call the Gun Expert (1964)
- The Corridor People (1966)
- Detective (1964-1969) (anthology series)
- Dixon of Dock Green (1955-1976)
- Ghost Squad (a.k.a. G.S.5) (1961-1964)
- Gideon’s Way (1964-1966)
- Interpol Calling (1959-1960)
- Maigret (1959, 1960-1963)
- Man from Interpol (1960)
- Man in a Suitcase (1967-1968)
- The Mind of Mr. J.G. Reeder (1969-1971)
- No Hiding Place (1959-1967)
- The Odd Man (1960-1963)
- Parkin’s Patch (1969-1970)
- Paul Temple (1969-1971)
- Police 5 (1962-1992, 2014)
- Police Surgeon (1960)
- Public Eye (1965-1975)
- Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased) (1969-1970) [stream here]
- Redcap (1964-1966) (starring John Thaw)
- Sergeant Cork (1963-1968)
- Sexton Blake (1967-1971)
- Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes, and The Cases of Sherlock Homes) (1964, 1965, 1968) (starring Douglas Wilmer; and Peter Cushing)
- Softly, Softly (1966-1969)
- Softly, Softly: Taskforce (1969-1976)
- Special Branch (1969-1974) [stream here]
- Spindoe (1968)
- Z-Cars (1962-1978)
If you know of a show that is missing from the list above, or if you have any other additions or corrections, please let me know in the comments!
Not listed Public Eye with Alfred Burke
Thanks for this! I’ve just added it to the 1960s and 1970s lists 🙂
Gibson’s Way from 1964. Is a good detective series.
You’ve missed off Jason King
Thanks! ‘Jason King’ aired in 1971-1972 so I’ve added it to the 1970s page.
Man in the suitcase
Thanks! I’ve just added “Man in a Suitcase” to the list 🙂
Man of the world
The World of Tim Fraser
A good show which is missing from the 60s 70s list is Department S. I remember Jason King was in it although not the main character but perhaps cameo scenes.
LikeLiked by 1 person
There was a 1960s spy/detective series that featured an AC289 sports car in the opening credits. Possibly on the M1, and going away from the camera that was on an overhead bridge. One of the episodes was named something like “The Captain Morales Way”. Can’t find it anywhere.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Googling the episode title suggests that the show you’re thinking of might be “The Rat Catchers” which aired 1966-1967. It seems that, just like a lot of old British shows of the time, the original recordings may have been destroyed.