Disclosure: The following contains affiliate links. At no additional cost to you, I may receive a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. Click here to read the full Affiliate Disclosure.
Browse British detective series by decade or return to the TV Detective Database:
Below is a complete list of British detective/mystery/crime series from the 1950s. This includes series that started prior to 1950 and continued into the decade, as well as shows that started in the 1950s and continued into the 1960s. Titles of series that only lasted for a single year/season have been left unbolded.
Clicking on a title link in the list below will take you to my post about that specific show (if I have created one). Additionally, the list also includes links to places where you can watch/stream the show online.
- African Patrol (1958-1959) (set in Kenya)
- The Broken Horseshoe (1952)
- Charlesworth (1959)
- Colonel March of Scotland Yard (1955-1956) (starring Boris Karloff) [stream here]
- The Crime of the Century (1956-1957) (all but one episode lost)
- Crime on Our Hands (1954) (all episodes lost)
- Crime Sheet (1959)
- Dixon of Dock Green (1955-1976)
- Dial 999 (1958-1959)
- Fabian of the Yard (1954-1956)
- Interpol Calling (1959-1960)
- Motive for Murder (1957)
- Murder Bag (1957-1958)
- The New Adventures of Charlie Chan (1957-1958)
- New York Confidential (1958-1959) (US-UK co-production)
- Nick of the River (1959)
- No Hiding Place (1959-1967)
- Portrait of Alison (1955)
- Sherlock Holmes (1951) (a.k.a. We Present Alan Wheatley as Mr Sherlock Holmes in…)
If you know of a show that is missing from the list above, or if you have any other additions or corrections, please let me know in the comments!