Disclosure: The following contains affiliate links, meaning I may receive a small commission if you click through and make a purchase, at no additional cost to you. Click here to read the full Affiliate Disclosure.
Browse American detective shows by decade or return to the TV Detective Database:
Below is a complete list of American detective/mystery/crime shows from the 1950s, in alphabetical order. Note that some of these shows originated in the 1940s; in particular, many of them have their roots in radio series or movies prior to the dawn of the TV era. The list also includes shows that started in the 1950s and continued into the 60s.
Clicking on a title link in the list below will take you to my post about that specific show (if I have created one). Additionally, the list also includes links to places where you can watch/stream the show online.
- 77 Sunset Strip (1958-1964)
- The Adventures of Ellery Queen (1950-1952)
- Alfred Hitchcock Presents, a.k.a. The Alfred Hitchcock Hour (1955-1965) [stream here]
- The Best in Mystery (1954)
- The Big Story (1949-1957)
- Bourbon Street Beat (1959-1960)
- Casey, Crime Photographer (1951-1952)
- Dangerous Assignment (1951-1952) [stream here]
- Dragnet, a.k.a. Badge 714 (1951-1959) [stream here]
- The Edge of Night (1956-1984) (a mystery soap opera)
- Front Page Detective (1951-1953)
- The Further Adventures of Ellery Queen (1958-1959)
- Gang Busters (1952) [stream here]
- Hawaiian Eye (1959-1963)
- Highway Patrol (1955-1959)
- Lock-Up (1959-1961)
- M Squad (1957-1960)
- Markham (1959-1960)
- Mickey Spillane’s Mike Hammer (1958-1959)
- Mystery Is My Business (1954-1956) (an Ellery Queen series)
- The Naked City (1958-1959, 1960-1963) [stream here]
- Perry Mason (1957-1966) [stream here]
- Peter Gunn (1958-1961) [stream here]
- Public Prosecutor (1951-1952)
- Rocky King Detective, a.k.a. Inside Detective (1950-1954)
- Sheriff of Cochise (1956-1959) [stream here]
- Special Agent 7 (1958-1959)
- The Thin Man (1957-1959)
If you know of a show that is missing from the list above, or if you have any other additions or corrections, please let me know in the comments!