Disclosure: The following contains affiliate links. At no additional cost to you, I may receive a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. Click here to read the full Affiliate Disclosure.
Browse American detective shows by decade or return to the TV Detective Database:
Below is a complete list of American detective/mystery/crime shows from the 2000s, in alphabetical order. This includes shows that started in the 1990s and continued into the 2000s, as well as shows that started in the 2000s and continued into the 2010s. At the turn of the millennium, there was a surge in popularity of reality and true-crime series. However, the list below includes only scripted/fictional shows.
Clicking on a title link in the list below will take you to my post about that specific show (if I have created one). Additionally, the list also includes links to places where you can watch/stream the show online.
- 10-8: Officers on Duty (2003-2004)
- 12 oz. Mouse (2005-2006, 2020) (cartoon, humor) [stream here]
- 18 Wheels of Justice (2000-2001)
- 24 (2001-2014) [stream here]
- Archer (2009-2020) (cartoon, humor) [stream here]
- Archie’s Weird Mysteries (1999-2000) (cartoon, humor) [stream here or here or here]
- The Beast (2009) [stream here]
- The Beat (2000)
- Big Apple (2001)
- Black Scorpion (2001) [stream here]
- Blind Justice (2005)
- Bones (2005-2017) [stream here]
- Boomtown (2002-2003)
- Bored to Death (2009-2011) (humor) [stream here]
- Breaking Bad (2008-2013) [stream here]
- Brotherhood (2006-2008) [stream here]
- Burn Notice (2007-2013) [stream here]
- Canterbury’s Law (2008) [stream here]
- Castle (2009-2016) [stream here]
- Century City (2004)
- Close to Home (2005-2007)
- The Closer (2005-2012) [stream here]
- Cold Case (2003-2010)
- Cold Squad (1998-2005) [stream here]
- Columbo (1968, 1971-1978, 1989-1995, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2003) [stream here]
- Conviction (2006) (Law & Order: SVU spinoff) [stream here]
- Cover Me (2000-2001)
- Criminal Minds (2005-2020) [stream here]
- CSI: Crime Scene Investigation (2000-2015) [stream here]
- CSI: Miami (2002-2012) [stream here]
- CSI: NY (2004-2013) [stream here]
- Damages (2007-2012) [stream here]
- Dark Blue (2009-2010) [stream here]
- Desperate Housewives (2004-2012) [stream here]
- Dexter (2006-2013) [stream here]
- Diagnosis: Murder (1991, 1992, 1993-2001, 2002)
- The District (2000-2004) (comedy)
- The Division (2001-2004)
- The Evidence (2006)
- Eyes (2005)
- Fastlane (2002-2003) (comedy) [stream here]
- The Forgotten (2009-2010)
- The Fugitive (2000-2001)
- Ghost Whisperer (2005-2010) [stream here]
- Glory Days, a.k.a. Demontown (2002) (comedy, horror)
- Hawaii (2004)
- Harper’s Island (2009) [stream here]
- Heist (2006)
- Hidden Palms (2007) [stream here]
- House M.D., a.k.a. House or Dr. House (2004-2012) [stream here]
- The Huntress (2000-2001)
- In Justice (2006)
- In Plain Sight (2008-2012) [stream here]
- The Inside (2005-2006)
- JAG (1995-2005) [stream here]
- Jericho (2006-2008) [stream here]
- Jonny Zero (2005)
- The Jury (2004)
- K-Ville (2007-2008) [stream here]
- Karen Sisco (2003-2004)
- Keen Eddie (2003-2004) (comedy)
- Kidnapped (2006-2007)
- The Kill Point (2007) [stream here]
- Killer Instinct (2005-2006)
- Kingpin (2003)
- Law & Order (1990-2010) [stream here]
- Law & Order: Criminal Intent (2001-2011) [stream here]
- Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, a.k.a. Law & Order: SVU (1999-present) [stream here]
- Law & Order: Trial by Jury (2005-2006) [stream here]
- Level 9 (2000-2001) (sci-fi)
- Leverage (2008-2012) [stream here]
- Lie to Me (2009-2011) [stream here]
- Life (2007-2009) [stream here]
- Life on Mars (2008-2009) [stream here]
- Line of Fire (2003-2005)
- Lost (2004-2010) [stream here]
- Manhattan, AZ (2000) (comedy)
- Medium (2005-2011) [stream here]
- The Mentalist (2008-2015) [stream here]
- Monk (2002-2009) [stream here]
- Nash Bridges (1996-2001) [stream here]
- NCIS: Naval Criminal Investigative Service (2003-2020) [stream here]
- A Nero Wolfe Mystery (2001-2002)
- New Amsterdam (2008) (sci-fi) [stream here]
- The Nine (2006-2007) [stream here]
- The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency (2008-2009) [stream here]
- Numb3rs (2005-2010) [stream here]
- NYPD Blue (1993-2005) [stream here]
- Oz (1997-2003) [stream here]
- Pacific Blue (1996-2000) [stream here or here]
- Pasadena (2001-2002)
- Peacemakers (2003)
- Point Pleasant (2005-2006) (horror)
- The Pretender (1996-2000) [stream here]
- Prison Break (2005-2017) [stream here]
- Profiler (1996-2000)
- Psych (2006-2014) [stream here]
- Push, Nevada (2002)
- Pushing Daisies (2007-2009) (fantasy) [stream here]
- Raines (2007) [stream here]
- The Riches (2007-2008) [stream here]
- Robbery Homicide Division (2002-2003)
- Saving Grace (2007-2010) (fantasy) [stream here]
- The Shield (2002-2008) [stream here]
- Sons of Anarchy (2008-2014) [stream here]
- The Sopranos (1999-2007) [stream here]
- Southland (2009-2013) [stream here]
- Standoff (2006-2007)
- Street Time (2002-2003)
- Stripperella (2003-2004) (cartoon, superhero) [stream here]
- Sue Thomas: F.B.Eye (2002-2005) (US-Canadian co-production) [stream here]
- Third Watch (1999-2005) [stream here]
- Touching Evil (2004)
- UC: Undercover (2001-2002)
- The Unusuals (2009) [stream here]
- Vampire Diaries (2009-2017) (fantasy, horror) [stream here]
- Vanished (2006)
- Veronica Mars (2004-2007, 2019) [stream here and here]
- Walker, Texas Ranger (1993-2001)
- Wanted (2005)
- What’s New, Scooby-Doo? (2002-2006) (cartoon) [stream here]
- White Collar (2009-2014) [stream here]
- Wild Card, a.k.a. Zoe Busiek: Wild Card (2003-2005)
- The Wire (2002-2008) [stream here]
- Without a Trace, a.k.a. Vanished (2002-2009) [stream here]
- Women’s Murder Club (2007-2008)
- The X-Files (1993-2002, 2016-2018) [stream here]
If you know of a show that is missing from the list above, or if you have any other additions or corrections, please let me know in the comments!
‘Major Crimes’ ran from 2012-2018 so it’s listed in the 2010s list: https://murdershewatched.com/detective-database/2010s-american-detective-shows/
I really need your help to find a series in which a boy (age around 12?) was killed by his friend. He was found dead in the pool of his house with a cut from the sex organ up to the chest. A suspect is a girl who live nearby. All i can remember is the main character is a police/detective with straight blonde hair. She always wear formal clothes.. She came to visit the girl and was lead to the treehouse where that boy and the girl used to stay together. Anyway, there’s one scene that the girl was questioned and the detective knew that she was lying through the camera. In the end, the mother of the boy found out and grabbed the girl but then was shot by her mother. She falled into that pool and died, kinda the same scene as her son.
Ps: ive been looking for this series for years but havent found out yet :((
Wow, that sounds like an intense show! I don’t know which one it is off-hand, but will keep thinking about it and see if I can figure it out and get back to you.
Do you have any more information about it? For instance when you watched it (will help narrow down the time period). And whether this was a mini-series, a single episode of a series, or maybe a TV movie? And of course whether it’s American or British or possibly produced in a different country.
Could it be Cold Case?
There was a show, roughly 2004-2007. Main character a woman who is a decetive of sorts but her husband passed away and she gets involved in paranormal cases. I remember a scene, or maybe multiple times has to go in a sensory deprivation tank. I think she gets headaches when visions come? She has a male side kick who helps her, and a scientist friend who helps her reach these states in the deprivation tank. There is something mysterious about her past. Can you help me?! Thanks!
I think I recall the show you’re talking about, but the name is currently evading me. I’ll have a longer think about it and hopefully can help with figuring it out tomorrow.
I think I have finally figured out which show you were thinking of! It may have been one called “Profiler”, which aired from 1996-2000. She wasn’t an actual psychic, but would get these insightful visions about the criminal. However, the premise at the beginning of the show was that she was chasing this elusive criminal who was responsible for her husband’s death.
I’m not sure, but I think it’s Fringe, but it’s 2008 -2013. Still a good tv show.
A quick search and it gave me Hunted Homes.
I hope you found what you are looking for
hi! im trying to find a tv show about a guy who solves these mysteries that involve the supernatural. im not sure if he’s an actual detective but i cant remember. it was only on for one season but i remember the finale including the four horsemen and he ended up being the fourth horseman i think. if i recall correctly, all of the episodes had something to do with the apocalypse. i also think the main character resembled enrique iglesias. it isn’t knight rider, but i do think the guy drove a mustang (like the newer version of knight rider).. and bc he drove a mustang, that made him the fourth horseman.
Do you remember what decade it was from? Was it from the 2000s?
it was in the late 2000s.. perhaps around 2008.
LikeLiked by 1 person
I’m not immediately sure what show you might be thinking of, but I’ll dig around and have a think about it and get back to you in a few days.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Ok, so I think you may be thinking of a show called The Messengers, which ran on the CW in 2015. It seems to fit your description pretty well. [With the Four Horsemen and the Mustang]
ok.. so I watched the show and although this was a show i loved, i realized it wasnt the one i was talking about. LMBO!! I do remember another detail tho: in the finale, there is a biker gang of about three men and they are they horsemen.. 😔
Cold Case is available for streaming on the Roku Channel app.
LikeLiked by 1 person
There is a crime show episode, which I cannot remember the name, or seem to find anywhere. If I remember correctly, it aired in 2001, after the attacks on September 11. The episode in question, was about a man whose wife and daughter were kidnapped and held hostage by foreign agents. I think that the man was a politician or a diplomat working at an embassy. It was a “Law and Order” type show, but I don’t think it was part of that franchise. Also, I think this was the pilot episode.
I think that was an episode of Law and Order Criminal Intent.
Hello all! Wondering if someone can give me the name of the crime show where the group of detectives gets a case, they do their investigations to figure out what happened and solve the case. At the end of each show is an actual play back of the crime scene as it’s happening to show that viewers what occurred. This show was early 2000s (within the first 10 years) and based off of true events. I believe only 2 seasons before it stopped airing and it would come on tv in the lineup right before prison break and 24 if memory serves correct. That’s all I really remember, hope this is helpful for you all in helping me uncover the title. Thanks!
Looking for an episode of true crime where a farmer kills his former banker that foreclosed on his farm I wanted to say it was on A&E channel back in 2000s I looked in the ae archives for it but it doesn’t come up that I can see does anyone know which one this is it took place in the 80s I believe
This site is awesome! J.B. Fletcher is my idol.
You’re missing Crossing Jordan…unless I missed it?
Thanks again for doing all this.
I have a police show in mind that has eluded me for a few years now where there is a blonde female officer who is partners with a heavy set man and her husband is an alcoholic and she always has to deal with him and her daughter. I believe that it is set in NYC and I remember watching it before 1996. They almost always have a scene in her house with her family. It has been driving me crazy trying to figure it out. Ty.
Was it Hill Street Blues?
No, I checked out all the cast on there and didn’t see who I was looking for. I’ll keep looking. Thanks though.
Hi,am looking for a show around the time of 18 wheels of justice. It had a hot chic and her side kick was a nerd and they solved crimes around art/museums. She was a real bad ass and he was the computer guy. Sometimes she wore glasses,she was kinda like Lara Croft vibes