Disclosure: The following contains affiliate links. At no additional cost to you, I may receive a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. Click here to read the full Affiliate Disclosure.
As part of my mission to compile a TV Detective Database listing all mystery/detective/crime shows ever made, I have already compiled lists spanning the decades from the 1950s until the 2010s. A couple months ago, I also completed a round-up of all the new shows that premiered in 2020; and a few weeks ago I completed a round-up of American shows that premiered in 2021. I have finally caught up to the present day by having now compiled the following list of detective TV series and mini-series produced in the United Kingdom that premiered in the year 2021.
As usual, I use the term “detective show” rather loosely and include anything that can be classified as a mystery/thriller/crime drama. However, I exclude true crime documentaries and reality shows, as I want to focus on scripted stories. Where relevant, I’ve noted whether the series is based on a book, whether it can be classified as a particular related subgenre (e.g. horror or sci-fi/fantasy); and which network or streaming service distributes the series.
I hope that you find the list helpful — both in highlighting shows that are coming out later this year that you can look forward to, and in helping you discover something that came out earlier in the year that you haven’t yet seen. For that reason, I have organized the list according to the month in which each show premiered.
- The Serpent (premiered January 1st) *Based on a true story [Watch on BBC1 or stream on Netflix]
- The Pembrokeshire Murders (premiered January 11th) [Watch on ITV or stream on BritBox]
- The Drowning (premiered February 1st) [Watch on Channel 5 or stream on AcornTV]
- Behind Her Eyes (premiered February 17th) Based on the novel by Sarah Pinborough [Stream on Netflix]
- Bloodlands (premiered February 21st) [Watch on BBC1 or stream on AcornTV]
- The One (premiered March 12th) *Sci-fi. Based on a book by John Marrs. [Stream on Netflix]
- Grace (premiered March 14th) Based on a book series by Peter James. [Watch on ITV or stream on BritBox]
- The Irregulars (premiered March 26th) Based on characters created by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle in the Sherlock Holmes stories. [Stream on Netflix]
- Intruder (premiered April 5th) [Watch on Channel 5 or stream on BritBox]
- The Nevers (premiered April 11th) (UK-US co-production) *Fantasy/Sci-Fi [Released on HBO max; stream on Amazon]
- Too Close (premiered April 12th) [Watch on ITV or stream on AMC+]
- Viewpoint (premiered April 26th) [Watch on ITV]
- Murder They Hope (premiered May 8th) [Watch on UKTV Gold]
- The Pact (premiered May 17th) [Watch on BBC1]
- Whitstable Pearl (premiered May 24th) Based on the book series by Julie Wassmer. [Stream on AcornTV]
- Before We Die (premiered May 26th) Based on a Swedish series of the same name. [Watch on Channel 4]
- Professor T (premiered June 3rd) Based on a Belgian series of the same name. [Watch on ITV; stream on BritBox; or stream on PBS Masterpiece in the US]
- Time (premiered June 6th) [Watch on BBC or stream on BritBox]
- The North Water (premiered July 15) [Watch on BBC2 or stream on AMC+]
- Deceit (premiered August 13th) *Based on a true story. [Watch on Channel 4]
- Annika (premiered August 17th) [Watch on UKTV Alibi]
- Vigil (premiered August 29th) [Watch on BBC1]
- Stephen (premiered August 30th) *Based on a true story [Watch on ITV]
- Wolfe (premiered on September 10th) [Watch on SKY]
- The Long Call (premiered October 25th) [ITV]
- Ragdoll (premiered November 11th) Based on a novel by Daniel Cole. [Watch on UKTV Alibi]
- Landscapers (premiered December 7th) [HBO Max and Sky]
This post was last updated on January 12th, 2022. As always, if you know of any shows that are missing from my list above, please let me know in the comments!